RE: TR3 wire wheel questions

To: "'David Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 wire wheel questions
From: Chris De Wet <DeWetC1@sapo.co.za>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 16:33:46 +0200
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greetings and thanks for the information and views Dave .

I only have four 60 spoke wheels and no spare . My spare wheel is a normal
TR3 steel disc wheel . A wee bit of a hassle to change wheels if I get a
flat . Maybe I'm just lazy :-)

I also feel that the price is a little high , but the owner won't go lower
than R 1600 ( he originally wanted R 1750 ) and he won't split the set .
Splines seem ok , spokes little bit of rusted on the ends , not sure if
everything is as straight as it should be , but nothing obvious wrong .

Wish I could obtain a new wheel though , but unfortunately our money ( South
African Rand ) is basically worth nothing compared to yours ( US Dollar or
British Pound ) so buying from USA or UK is not so easy . On the other hand
we are a cheap holiday destination for you guys and that is also why most
classics in SA are sold to overseas buyers .

As to the fitting of wire wheels in the spare wheel compartment , someone
informed me that there is a slight difference between the TR 2/3 and TR 3A
compartments . 60 spoke wheels will apparently fit in the TR3A but not TR2/3
compartment . Not sure if this is true though , but I think I read it
somewhere in " Original TR2/3/3A " as well .

Kind regards .
Chris de Wet .
PO Box 472 , Ifafi , 0260 , South Africa .
'56 TR 3 ( TS 10795 ) + '64 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 ( FC 25680 ) .

Projects ( sadly for sale ) :
'62 Herald 1200 Coupe , '65 Herald 12/50 ( convertible ) ,
'63 Spitfire 4 Mk 1 , '66 Spitfire 4 Mk 2 .