Re: Lightest Car?

To: "Richard B Gosling" <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>, "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lightest Car?
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:26:01 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Richard Gosling wrote ::

> In the UK we have, fully road-legal, the Caterham Superlight R500 - total
>  weight just 998 lb!  For those who have not heard of Caterham, they
produce a
>  car based originally on the Lotus 7 - a very basic vehicle, pretty much 2
>  seats, and engine and 4 wheels, looks like a track racing car (which many
are
>  used for).  The superlight is their most extreme vehicle, with all
>  un-necessary weight removed (e.g. windscreen, heater, any interior trim),
and
>  a very highly rated 1.8-litre 4-cyl engine, to get a frightening 508
bhp/ton!!
R. John Lye on the Triumph list as well as many other lists, is a authorized
builder and distributor of Caterham in this country, and a real neat car I
might add, John's shop is loctaed in Standardsville Virginia just outside of
Charlottesville, he is also a restorer of many LBC classic cars frame up
variety. Susan Hensley, Brad Kahler and myself had the pleasure of a tour of
his shop and the beautiful town of Standardsville this past winter, nice day
and great company, Susan that is. <g>  "FT"