Re: GT6 Not Firing

To: "Dan John" <johndj1_uk@yahoo.co.uk>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: GT6 Not Firing
From: "Martin Secrest" <msecrest@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 10:11:18 -0400
 swear all I did was take the
> temperature compensations unit off and then replace
> it.  Now the car will turn over but will not fire at
> all.  Thoughts?

Consider that there may be no actual correlation between your having
reattached the TC's and the fact that car now won't start.

Garage has advised me
> that it is because the engine (new) is so efficient,
> the ignition cannot keep up with it???  Have replaced
> the ignition with an electronic one and then placed a
> plea to these very pages.  Concensus seemed to be carb
> related (hence the tinkering).  Have since had a
> contact say it could be the choke discs.  Does this
> sound correct and, if so, can I repair it myself
> (given the past experience)?

I agree with Fred ... the garage's "assessment" is from way out in left
field.  (Is the mechanic Fox Mulder?)  It's rare that a carburetor is so far
out of adjustment that a car won't fire.  I'd look at the ignition again,
starting with the setup of the electronic unit.  Once it's running, you'll
also certainly need to adjust the timing as well.

--
Martin Secrest
72 TR6