Re: Late Late Night Frustrations!

To: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@gte.net>, "levilevi" <levilevi@home.com>
Subject: Re: Late Late Night Frustrations!
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 21:51:34 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
>I think the advice is not because of the need (or lack of) for grease in
the
> bearing as much as the very real possibility that packing the bearing
> will sling grease when it is rotating and get on the disk surfaces causing
the
> utch to become ineffective.
>
> Joe

I thought about that, but it is a non-issue.  Only the back of the TOB is
open, in a gap about 3/16" wide.  Which once installed onto the TOB carrier
the gap is practically closed...  And the opening faces AWAY from the clutch
disc, so the only way any lubrication could get on it is during sudden
braking in which any grease that is being flung into the air in the bell
housing is caused to suddenly surge forward... and even then it has to
somehow penetrate the pressure plate.

Kai