Re: 73 TR6 questions

Subject: Re: 73 TR6 questions
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 09:51:36 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Dennis & Bridget Lambert wrote:

> 1) Are there any serious performance issues in comparing the earlier
> cars vs the 73?  I'm looking for a nice daily driver, not a race car
> candidate (but it would be nice if it could get out of it's own way)

According to Graham Robson, the 73 should be as quick as any of the
US-spec cars, unless it's a CA-spec car.  The CR dropped to 7.5 in 1975
"after which the car faded away".  Of course, it's easy to regain at
least some of the 45hp penalty the US cars paid for emission controls,
even under the watchful eye of the CARB.  Milling the head and fitting
the early PI camshaft are supposedly good for about a 20% increase in
power, which would make it a match for the 124 rated bhp of the 73-on PI
version.  I suspect some carb changes (perhaps to the earlier ZS carbs
or even SU HS6s) may be necessary to get the full benefit of these
changes.

> 2) Is the interior of the 73 basically the same as the earlier years?
> When did the adjustable headrests come into being?

There were a fair number of minor tweaks for 73.  I'm not sure when the
adjustable headrests came in, but I believe a 73 would have them.

> 3) If a 73 were equipped with OD, would it be an "A" type or "J type?

According to Robson & Piggott, the J-type was introduced at the
beginning of the 73 model year.  However, an A-type will fit easily in a
73.

> 4) California listers: Is a 73 subject to smog certification?

Nope !  Last year that isn't.

Randall