RE: 73 TR6 questions

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: RE: 73 TR6 questions
From: "Jim Altman" <jaltman@altlaw.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:58:50 -0400 com> et.com>
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I don't think I have ever driven a J-Type, but let observe and speculate.
When you say the J "kicks in" how much "kick" do you really mean?

To make a smooth shift with an A-Type and not bounce you and/or the car a
bit requires some finesse in the timing and the gas pedal.  It is very
possible to make very smooth shifts, as smooth as any automatic
transmission. My Ford Explorer's automatic is completely smooth, you don't
know its there.

It is also possible to misplay the gas and the timing and have a rather
rough shift with the A-Type.  I remember my father's 1968 Mercedes 280S,
that automatic transmission came with a personal chiropractor.

The A-Type and the J run on about the same pressure, so I'd assume the
ability to slam that sucker in there is about the same. Its gotta be
possible to mis-play the shift and get about the same kick in the butt, but
its undoubtly possible to repeatedly hit the timing just fine and get the
same smoothness as from a well-done manual or automatic shift.
Operationally, flipping a switch is flipping a switch.  The A works in
second gear, but I have never found it useful.

Like I said, I never have driven a J.

Anyone remember the push button tranny in the 1961 Rambler?

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6 76-TR7 80-TR8  W4UCK