Gasoline Overflow

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gasoline Overflow
From: "Jerry Goulet" <jgoulet@thomsontechnology.com>
Date: 4 Oct 2001 13:36:00 -0700 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id f94KeTm05047
Last Friday, as I was filling my TR3A with fuel for a weekend drive to
Whistler, the driver of the car on the other side of the pump started a chat
about "cars".  During the chat I looked down at the gas nozzle in the TR filler
and saw a full stream of gasoline running from the full tank across the short
distance of car body and into the trunk.  The nozzle's automatic overflow
shutoff failed!  I then released the trigger, pulled the nozzle out and placed
it back into the pump.  My immediate thought was that I had stinky fuel in my
trunk, soaking into my backpack and folded soft top. What I didn't notice until
the station attendant came out with a bucket of kitty litter was that there was
a growing puddle of fuel under my TR.  VERY SCARY.  We pushed the car forward
to avoid any kind of spark even though the engine wasn't running.
Fortunately, the little drain tubes at the bottom corners of the trunk lid
gutters were intact and safely drained the fuel through the trunk to the ground
below.   I wiped the gasoline residue in the trunk gutter and from the car body
so there was no smell.  I wanted to share this as a little reminder to check
these little tubes once in while for safety sake.

Jerry Goulet
1960 TR3A