Advice on cylinder head

Subject: Advice on cylinder head
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:22:26 -0500
Over the weekend I removed the cylinder head from my TR6. The main reason is
to replace leaky valve guides. The valve in the suspect cylinder was crusted
over with black tar so I'm guessing this is the leaker.

I am looking for some advice on other things to do:

I am considering shaving the head to increase the compression ratio to
~9.5:1. This should improve torque slightly at all rpm and give several %
HP. There has been some discussion about shorter pushrods or shims under the
rocker arm pedestals. Is this an absolute necessity? Can anybody name a
supplier for these? Moss only has one pushrod listed.

Hardened valve seats for no-lead. Any opinions? Worth the expense? It
doesn't look like the valves are receeded but this is just visual.

Stellite exhaust valves? Is this a no-lead upgrade, for racing, or what?

I toyed with the idea of putting in a longer duration cam. Still only for
street use. Just thinking about recovering the HP that the EPA regulated
away. As I understand, installing cam bearings is a common upgrade. Any
other things to consider? I don't want to get into the bottom end at this
time.

The bores feel smooth, can't feel a ridge, compression is good, if I recall
correctly oil pressure is about 25 psi at warm idle. Anything I should
inspect or do while I have the head off?

Can anybody quote costs for head work they have had done recently?

Thanks in advance for sharing your colective wisdom.

Hugh Fader
72 TR6