Crankshaft end bolt removal

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Crankshaft end bolt removal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:50:56 -0500
Message text written by "Hugh Fader"
>Well. I have another stuck bolt on my TR6: the crankshaft end bolt. I have
two of the radiator bolts installed and am holding it from turning with a
screwdriver between these. I have sprayed the bolt with Kroil and gave it a
few whacks. Trying to turn it with a big adjustable wrench. This isn't a
left-hand thread by chance is it? Next step I guess would be heat, but
where
to apply it? It looks like the threaded hole is behind the pulley.
<

This is the 3/4 " bolt that takes a 1 1/8 wrench, right?  As I recall it is
torqued to 120 lb-ft or something like that.  It is not a trivial matter to
remove this bolt since it was torqued pretty tight to begin with and has
had 30 years to stick on there.  Bill suggested the old
brace-the-wrench-and-use-the-starter trick which usually works if the
wrench doesn't pop off.  If it does it can dammage things so take great
care.

I guess you could use the old Rope Trick.  Stuff rope into a cylinder so
that the piston stalls and allows you to apply enough torque to break it
loose.  Be sure to remove the rocker assy, don't want to bend any valves.

But my favorite (also suggested) is to put the transmission in fourth gear
and set the parking brake.

Good luck

Dave