RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: RE: Crankshaft end bolt removal
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:06:50 -0500
Message text written by "Hugh Fader"
>I bought a Piper 270 cam, bronze guides, hardened seat inserts for the
>exhaust, valves, double springs, lifters, and pushrods. Marvelous how this
>adds up isn't it? Still trying to decide how much to mill the head, but
will
>probably be conservative and go for about 9:1.

If running on 87 octane gas is important to you then stop there.  But if
you are willing to go with premium then you can probably go all the way to
10:1.  I had mine shaved to about 9.5:1 and I have no trouble running on
mid-grade.  If I had it to do over I would so 10:1.

>Also, crankshaft end float looked excessive. I have a feeling I'll be into
>the bottom end soon. I'll have to measure it somehow. I don't have a dial
>indicator. Anybody know of a poor-man's way to measure this?

The Poor Man's way is to drop the pan, pull the #4 main cap and stick a
feeler gauge between the crank and the shim.

;-)

Or you might find a machine shop who will do it for $60/hr

Dave