Re: Is this sacrilege?

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Is this sacrilege?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 00:32:04 -0500
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
> That said, there was a feature in one of the magazines a few
> months back (might've been Hot Rod, don't recall) about cars
> that turned under 10 second quarter-mile times _and_ got 20
> mpg on pump gas.  One of the cars featured was a Honda, with
> at least a derivative of the original engine block (beaucoup boost,
> ceramic pistons, lots of combustion engineering).  Not quite a kid
> doing the work, but not an old man either !
>
> Randall

Actually Randall, if it is the car I think it is, the owner would be Larry
Widmer.  Larry Widmer's company, Endyn, has been involved in the echelons of
motorsport for the past 3 decades.  NHRA drag racing, Penske Indy engines,
NASCAR head technology... not to mention government research projects for
the likes of NASA as well.  The supercharger on that car was heavily
modified, and even had carbon/thermoplastic rotors.  The motor had strain
gauges embedded between the cylinders to measure block distortion!

Larry Widmer is about 60 years old now I'd guess?  So he's leaning a bit
more towards the old man range.  With a large and well equipped facility,
many industry connections, and countless processes designed over three
decades by Larry himself you can see why that Honda is so advanced and still
gets 20mpg.  But even Larry couldn't resist the import aftermarket, he'll
sell you forged rods and pistons, and even ported heads to Endyn
specification.

Larry used to have extensive ties with the import community, it seems though
as of mid December he has once again severed communications with most of the
import crowd... although he still sells products to them.  I like Larry, he
is intelligent and capable, he just seems very media shy after a media
debacle in the mid80s involving some heads he produced for a few NASCAR
teams.  As a result, Larry is never going to achieve Smokey Yunick icon
status, but I don't think he wants too either.

Off to bed now, will further defend my views in the morning ;-)

Kai