RE: Is this sacrilege?

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, "'Rick Barnard'" <rstirb@townisp.com>
Subject: RE: Is this sacrilege?
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:27:38 -0500
Cc: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Kai, I wasn't trying to stir up any trouble here with my post and I
think it's safe to say that everyone on this list loves LBC's and is not
enamored of those pocket rice rockets.

I also realize that movies of all types glorify whatever the subject may
be and that they aren't exactly factually accurate.  While not 100%
certain, I'm certain that this movie falls in that category as well.
Whereas the guys we all see on the street are more show (if you want to
call it that) than go and really don't understand the engineering
aspects of what is best to go fast or handle better.

But I do think that you are being a little too hard on some (maybe a
very small percentage) of these tuner guys.  You speak of catalog
bolt-on performance parts and how easy it is which is certainly true,
and while we can't hook any type of computer up to our TR's to do the
same I think that a lot of the performance add-ons that we own or lust
after are in the same category.

I don't and can't engineer a camshaft that will give me the proper
performance that I would like so I rely on aftermarket suppliers who
have hopefully done the engineering work for me.  The examples are
endless, but the Weber carb add-ons spring to mind as one of the
modifications that most people instantly speak of when they want to
increase performance.

If I sound defensive or protective of these rice racketeers then I don't
really mean to be.  I will admit that the technology that allows engines
like the one in Honda's S2000 to develop the kind of horsepower it does
out of such a small displacement engine does impress me somewhat.

Also what this and other topics have done is to spur me on the learn
more about how our engines actually work and what I can do to improve
performance without resorting to trickery or mods that will result in a
very short engine life.

I feel that at the ripe old age of 39 I'm just starting to learn what
many of you have know for quite some time, but I figure that it's better
late than never.  I'll even go so far as to say that by the time my
eldest son, who is 3 1/2, gets old enough to drive that I might have
accumulated a fair amount of knowledge about engines and suspensions.

As for modern sports sedans, I was all but ready to spend some big bucks
on the "ultimate driving machine" a few years ago until I drove one.
Yes, they are nice and handle well, but it didn't put a huge sh*t eating
grin on my face like I expected it to so I held off.  I still am holding
off, but in the meantime I've owned two Triumphs.  And now instead of
acquiring a rather costly new ultimate driving whatever, I might buy an
older one of it's type.  You know, when they still possessed some zing.
I will also admit to thinking that the new MINI is pretty cool.

But in addition to the MINI, I also want a early TR3, Italia, TR4/250,
GT350, 68 Cougar, mid-fifties Alfa Guilietta, 289 Cobra, 1959 250 GT,
1972 365GT4, and .....

R. Ashford Little II
www.geocities.com/ralittle2