slipping clutch

To: "jack williams" <jackandangie@attbi.com>
Subject: slipping clutch
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:33:16 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "jack williams"
>Okay, I was going out to eat in my '76 TR6 (non overdrive) and while
sitting
in traffic I noticed that it would slip in second gear when I put some
strain on it much to my dismay. I went on to dinner and when we got through
eating, the only thing I could make slip was the tires as they began to
burn
rubber. Any Ideas? I thought that maybe for some reason the clutch rod was
getting stuck. Is there an adjustment? I checked my manual but it only
shows
adjustments for TR4's with threaded pushrods.
<

Jack,

The TR6 clutch is self adjusting.  There is a small, weak spring in the
slave cylinder that keeps the throwout bearing very lighly against the
clutch pressure plate.  If everything is working properly you should be
able to grab the pushrod and push it into the slave cylinder and then watch
it very slowly extend back out.

The intermittant slippage is difficult to diagnose.  There are a couple of
possibilities:
1) The master cylinder plunger didn't return fully and allow the slave to
return fully.
2) The throwout bearing carrier hung up on the thransmission nose piece.
3) Some oil found it's way onto the clutch plate and has since been burnt
off.

You may have to wait until it happens again.  If it never occurs again then
there is no problem.  If it does reoccurthen we will have to address it.

Good luck

Dave