RE: Please HELP with brake bleeding problem

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Please HELP with brake bleeding problem
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:13:03 -0500
Cc: "'Dave Massey'" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, "'[unknown]'" <owner-6pack@autox.team.net>, "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Randall Young'" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Message text written by "R. Ashford Little II"
>Dave, if I understood you correctly, then the front plunger in the MC
could be the culprit, if it even exists, as to the cause of my problems.
And since the front brakes do most of the work this makes sense.
However, unless I'm overlooking something, it also appears that my rear
brakes were actually working but simply being supplied with brake fluid
from the front reservoir.
<

After a while I get confused.  When the rear most part of the master
cylinder serves the front brakes (and vice versa) references to "front" can
be confusing.  If you have a diagram or picture from the service manual in
front of you it may show that the pin from the booster operates directly on
the piston that creats pressure for the front brakes.  If this piston is
missing the whole system will not work.  The floating spool or piston
normally floats and pressure is equal on either side.  If this spool were
left out the master cylinder will work normally since pressure will be
equal on either circuit.

The floating spool only comes into play if and when there is a failure
(leak) in one circuit or the other.  The spool will move only so far and
then stop.  At this point there will be a pressure differential (pressure
on the good side and none on the failed side) and you will be left with at
least some brakes.

I had a brake failure on my MGB once.  Driving with no brakes what-so-ever
(the parking brake was woefully uneffective) is a vary scary thing indeed.
I wound up coasting almost half a mile (it was down hill) and by the grace
of God several traffic lights turned green as I approached.  I finally got
the car stopped in a parking lot by forcing the gearbox into reverse and
letting out the clutch.  It is not on my list of recommended activities.

With the floating spool missing the brakes will work 100% normally but you
loose the safety of the dual circuit system.  If this is the case I highly
recommend fixing it right.  I can't overstress the importance of good
brakes.

>Now about that additional 100 hp.....

My priorities are as follows:
there is a three place tie for first: