RE: Tr3 Fuel Pump

To: "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3 Fuel Pump
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:28:50 -0800 isicu.net>
Erkan :

Well, not to belabor the point, but the spring shows what others have said,
you don't know for sure exactly what all fell off and into the pan.  As I
mentioned, the pickup screen frequently breaks on the TRactor motor
(somewhere I've got notes on how to prevent this), which means that large
chunks can be sucked into the oil pump, which can ruin your whole day.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but in almost 30 years of driving various TR3As,
the _only_ time one had to be towed home was when a rod bolt lock tab broke
off, and got sucked through the infamous hole into the oil pump.  The first
thing I knew about it, I heard a faint noise (bearing clatter) and noticed I
had no oil pressure !  The drive tang for the oil pump had sheared off
cleanly, the engine was still running fine, just this minor detail of no oil
... Fortunately, I got it shut down before any serious damage happened,
towed it home and patched it up.  But it could have been far worse ...

BTW, I'm also a lot more religious now about not reusing lock tabs !
<g>

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV