RE: Tr3 Fuel Pump

To: "'Triumphs@autox. Net'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tr3 Fuel Pump
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:44:19 -0800 i sicu.net>
> I think I may have a major problem on my hand.  I removed the old
> fuel pump
> off the engine block of the TR3 tonight.  This must have been the
> problem as
> to why the car would not start, for as I was removing the pump slowly so
> that I coul dsee how to put on the new one, the lever that
> extends out into
> the engine block fell off and in through the opening of the
> engine block.  I
> cannot feel the level while putting my fingers inside.
>
> Where did the part most likely go?

Most likely, it fell through into the pan.

> How do I get the dang thing out?

Drop the pan.  If you don't find the lever laying in the pan, look up
towards the mounting point, you should be able to reach it without any
problem.

Removing the pan is actually fairly easy with the front of the car on
stands.  Put the stands under the frame behind the front wheels, so you'll
have more room in front, and get the car as high as you can.  Drain the
engine oil.  You'll need to take loose the tab that holds the road draft
tube, and the steady rod for the clutch slave.  After that, just take out
all the bolts and lock washers around the flange, then give the pan a tap
with a rubber mallet to break it loose.  You'll need a new pan gasket
(although it is possible to use 'form-a-gasket' here, it's not a real good
idea).  Try to do it an a fairly clean environment, no blowing sand or
anything <g>  You'll probably want to use new lock washers when
reassembling, and check the pan flange for flatness.  If it's dimpled
upwards around the bolt holes, use a block of wood and a hammer to flatten
them back out again.

Of course, there are a whole host of things you could do with the pan off,
I'll leave that to your discretion.  I would suggest at least looking at the
oil pump pickup screen.  They have a tendency to break where the screen is
soldered to the tube.

Oh, and don't forget to refill with fresh oil !

> I am afraid to put the new pump on and run the engine with this piece of
> metal running around in there.

As well you should be !

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV