RE: Decision point

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Decision point
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 20:49:43 -0800
> Dilemma: If I am to spend time and $ on a transmission, would I not be as
> well off to spend time and $ on either an OD Triumph version or a Toyota
> 5-speed with conversion kit? I expect to go on long trips with this car.
> The car is TS81417, tranny is TS81119.
>
> I want 5 forward speeds, I presently don't have much money, I am torn on
> the originality thing in case I ever want to enter vintage
> rallies (will I
> really?), and I want to move forward. And to show I'm really a sucker for
> punishment, I am asking for input from the list.
> Please advise!

Jim, I would definitely go with overdrive.  My personal preference is for
the A-type, second choice would probably be Herman van den Akker's Toyota
conversion (if he ever gets the TR3 version ready for prime time, which
should be Real Soon Now).

If you want to keep your 'correct' 3-synchro gearbox, check with ORS in the
UK.  They were selling A-type conversion kits at a fairly reasonable price
(#250, under $400), last I checked.  You may need to ship them your old
mainshaft for conversion.  I've heard good things about Quantum Mechanics
too, but have no idea of their prices.

Also note that the 3.45 rear axle gear set used in PI TR5-6 (and other
Triumphs as well) will fit the TR3 differential.  I plan to install one on
my daily driver.  Steve Hedke reported that it actually improved
acceleration times for Scrappy, which is somewhat contrary to the expected
effect.  He also said that, although Scrappy has OD, he doesn't use it when
running TSD as it complicates his acceleration/deceleration times.

NFI, etc.
Randall Young
59 TR3A daily driver TS39781LO
63 Sports 6 rustoration project HB7826LCV
et al