Re: Decision point

To: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Decision point
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 11:23:01 -0600
Jim -

Having never driven my TR3, I can't speak to the benefits of
overdrive for it - however, I did put an overdrive transmission in my
Spitfire several years ago, and it made a world of difference.  The
car was much quieter at speed, and gave me a more confident feeling
about the longevity of the motor as it was turning at a little over
3000 RPM instead of nearly 4000 at 60 MPH.

Every TR owner I talked to about whether to try to find an overdrive
for my '3 said they either loved overdrive or wished they had it,
which made up my mind right there.

Herman's Toyota conversion was not available at the time, AFAIK, so I
only considered the kit from New Zealand, which was much more
expensive than a real TR transmission with overdrive.  Plus, with
proper maintenance (keep the oil full), the A-type units and the
transmissions themselves are really quite reliable (or so I've heard).

I am currently in the throes of my transmission rebuild, and I'm glad
I decided to do it.  I had toyed with the idea of just putting it in
the car, as everything looked good with the top cover off - but I
decided that with a total rebuild on everything else, I did not want
something as important as the transmission to be a question mark.  I
did not find any big problems, so I haven't had to spend a pile of
money on it - but I will feel extra confidence in the car knowing
that the transmission is good, instead of just hoping it is.

Bottom line - I'd say go ahead and try to find an overdrive for your car!

Some information I have found very helpful during my rebuild, by the
way, is the collection of documents put together by Nelson Riedel at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org.  You can also find the factory A-type
manual in PDF form on my Web site (link in my signature).

Best,
Dan

--
Dan Buettner  -  Des Moines, Iowa  -  mailto:danb@thelittlemacshop.com

1957 TR3, TS15098L 'O' - with a nice shiny rear axle installed!
Brakes partly complete, transmission in pieces.

1977 Spitfire, FM64159U 'O' - in storage.

Visit the Team.Net Triumph list member pages at:
http://www.thelittlemacshop.com/trsite/index.html
Photos, downloads, member bios, and more!