Re: tr3 - e-bay

To: spitlist@gte.net, Shrack04@aol.com
Subject: Re: tr3 - e-bay
From: "Michael Gajic" <michaelgajic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 22:39:47 +1100 FILETIME=[7132A9B0:01C1CDA8]
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Joe Curry wrote:

>I wonder what that means when some claims that all their Triumph's numbers
>match.  They will seldom (if not ever match each other since the cars were
>not built under a single number but consolidated as a set of numbers
>attached to a single (and different) commission number.

Spot on Joe- the engine and commission numbers should not normally match on
a TR. They should however, strange happenings at the factory excepted, be
within a couple of hundred of each other.

Even if the numbers are close, it might just be by chance that a
non-original engine was pulled from a car with a close number. IMHO when
buying a TR its best to be cautious and consider the numbers NOT to match
UNLESS a BMIHT certificate can be produced that shows otherwise.

The exception is of course if you are lucky enough to have the original
dealer delivery papers that sometimes list engine and commission numbers.
This was the case with my 2000 Saloon which was fortunate as it was
Australian manufactured so no BMHIT certificate is available...

Cheers,
Michael
63' TR4 CT23641 O (CT 23332E)- matching as per the BMIHT certificate
69' 2000 Saloon 2MB103883BW (MB99004HEBW)- matching as per the dealer
delivery papers