Re: trregistry.com

To: John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trregistry.com
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:15:45 -0800 (PST)
--- John Macartney <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> wrote:
> What does concern me is that a substantial
proportion
> of the people I meet who are computer literate and
> have email at work or at home, claim to be unaware
> of the existence of any of these lists. Why this
> should be, I cannot imagine - because they all claim
> to be fervent supporters of their preferred make.

John made several excellent points AFA the awareness
of internet resources throughout a broad category of
auto enthusiast. My related off-the-cuff theories
include:

1. many if not most internet users are unaware of
email lists generally, since such lists predate the
popularization of the internet with the arrival of the
WWW. Informally I've thought that the [old]
british-car and triumph list membership included an
unusual number of academics and engineers, perhaps
because there are more "old school" internet users in
those fields. Could be those fields are also full of
eccentrics who are drawn to old British cars. :-J

2. I've been surprised to meet a number of Triumph
owners who have no idea there are clubs devoted to the
make, let alone email lists. Some have even undertaken
or survived full restorations without club OR email
list support. Sheer madness. But clubs and email lists
grow organically, and word of mouth isn't very
effective with a relatively well dispersed group like
Triumph owners (even granted a likely higher UK
concentration).

3. aliens are beaming mind control waves preventing
British car owners from contacting others who could
help them keep their cars on the road. While the beams
are low energy and aren't entirely effective, they get
most of us. The aliens presumably want old car owners
to buy new cars which are easier to track through
their computer systems.

In any case I agree that promoting the list to club
members would be a great idea.

Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4