Re: trregistry.com

To: pethier@isd.net
Subject: Re: trregistry.com
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 12:09:14 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> [me] many if not most internet users are unaware of
> >email lists generally, since such lists predate the
> >popularization of the internet with the arrival of
> >theWWW.
>
> [Phil] I'm not buying it.  There is ample mention of
> these lists on the WWW.  Serious browsing of the web

> looking for britcar info will find these mentions.

OK. Does that mean there's no need for email list
promotion? I was thinking that many internet users
don't know to even look for email lists. If the
information is out there in easy reach, yet so many
internet users are unaware....

List info is easy to locate if you know to look for
it. But that doesn't mean someone searching for
"Triumph restoration" in Google will quickly find the
mailing list AND realize what an invaluable resource
it could be. Mailing lists weren't promoted (by AOL
and MS) in the same way that "regular" email and the
web have been. Joe Newtriumphowner might search on
keywords like "1972 TR6", but especially since there
is no list archive he's not likely to hit the mailing
list first time out. And even if Jane Herald-Driver
did start with "triumph mailing list" -- she wouldn't
find the sparse team.net subscription info
particularly soon.

VTR does have a nice pitch for the list, good for
those aware of the club.

> And guys like me who tripped on the Internet in the
> late 80s when none of my car buddies had the vaguest
> idea what I was talking about.  "EEEE-mail?  What
> the hell is that?"

<g> Yep, you too. I also joined british-car when most
of my friends hadn't the vaguest idea what I was
talking about. "Triumph? Who the h--- made that?"

Steven
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4
http://sports.yahoo.com/