Re: Change is sad

To: TR List <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Change is sad
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 10:48:22 -0400
I have a theory that opinions are like back sides: everyone's got one but
maybe one should keep it to one's self.  ;-)  But here goes anyway:

One of the reasons this hobby is so popular is that the cars are so
malleable: you want to update it and improve it?  easy.  You want to keep
it original?  No problem.  The cars hold up well in either case.

I like my TR3 because of - not inspite of - the push button starter (not
part of the ignition switch).  I like it because of - not inspite of - the
need to use the carriage key to open the bonnet and boot and spare tire
cover.  I like it because of - not inspite of - the side curtains.  I like
the anachronistic feel of the car and all the little quirks.  Some day I'll
get a tonneau and brooklands screens and (hopefully) wheel skirts.  But
then I don't drive it every day.  But it is fun to hand crank once in a
while.

The factory didn't build better cars because they couldn't, they didn't
build better cars because they couldn't afford it.  They were working to a
price target.  We, on the other hand aren't constrained by this limitation.
 When I rebuilt my TR8 I decided to pop for the leather seats, the canvas
top and a few other upgrades.  These don't change the character of the car,
they just refine it a bit.   It is a well designed car that holds up well
after more than 20 years and it still has a very modern feel to it. I see
no reason to change it.

My TR6 is a driver.  It has been bent and will never be a show car.
Therefore I have no qualms about modifying it.  It drives and it drives
pretty well.  I will have no qualms about re-engineering the wiring
harness, the fuel system (electric fuel pump), installing an electric fan
(it needs it in today's driving environment with prolinged traffic delays
and whatnot), sound system, gauges, or any other part of the car that
doesn't impact the outward appearance.  As an engineer, I view the folks
who designed this car to be comrades in arms who were tasked to produce a
car that met certain requirements with the technology available at the
time.  They did a good job and I consider it a good start for what I am
about to do.

The important thing to remember is that this is a hobby.  It is more cost
effective to drive something newer so obviously we drive these things as a
diversion.  And since it is a hobby, whatever you do to your car is just
fine with me.  Stick a V6 in a Spitife?  Go for it.  Put AC in a TR3?  Why
not?  Replace your tired wire harness with a NOS cloth-insulated
replacement?  Great!  Just as long as you enjoy the process or at least the
results.

Enjoy.

Dave