Re: Spats

To: Shrack04@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spats
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 12:33:56 EST
In a message dated 1/19/2003 8:04:16 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Shrack04@aol.com writes:

> I see Spats (fender skirts) for a TR3 on E-bay (#2400399643).  Does anyone
> have these on their car?  The book I have says they were a performance
> option, but none were sold.  How are these held on?

Presumably you're too young to have seen many late 1940s and 1950s American
cars on which "skirts" abounded. The factory skirts had a somewhat pointed
(according to the picture in the Spare Parts Catalogue) pin on the front edge
that fit into a bracket screwed to the fender lip. Two other "stop" brackets
mounted at, say, 10:30 and 1:00 o'clock on the fender lip, and a "bracket,
stop, retaining catch on the bottom of the fender just a bit behind the wheel
arch. The skirt, on the rear edge, had a retaining catch and spring that
engaged that rear stop bracket.

The skirts fit within the wheel arch and thus were flush with the fender and
had color-coordinated PVC moulding between the skirt and the fender.
Presumably the option wasn't popular, particularly on later cars (TR3/3A), as
the colors in which the PVC moulding was offered included Blackberry, Black,
Olive Yellow, Pearl White, Ice Blue, Red, Green and Geranium -- mostly the
very earliest colors. For those with the TR2/3 SPC, the reference is to Plate
AV; page numbers differ depending on edition.

I'll be curious to see where the bidding ends up on these. Someone might just
get a helluva deal! :-)

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member Services
  and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>