Re: What octane gas to use?

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: What octane gas to use?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 08:13:44 -0500
Cc: "Mo and Dave MacKay" <m.d.mackay@sympatico.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net i25DK18A006862
Message text written by Barry Schwartz
>Try regular, if it doesn't knock or ping under load (try a fourth gear low
rpm, say around 2000 RPM almost full throttle acceleration) then your fine.
<

Gasoline formulations using tetra-ethyl-lead had a tendency to ping worse
at low RPM's but the newer formulations can perform fine at low RPM but
ping at higher RPM* so test through out the desired RPM range.

Dave

*this phenomenom was noted on a 79 Mustang when I took off the catalytic
converter and tried a tank of leaded gas (back in the 80's when you still
could get it) and I noticed a pronounced low RPM pre-ignition that was not
present with the unleaded gas which tended to ping at the 4000 RPM range.