lower trunion

To: Tony and Jeanne <whosgoofy@adelphia.net>
Subject: lower trunion
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:38:30 -0500
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> iBLEfdAC026688
Message text written by Tony and Jeanne
>well here I am again, asking questions!!!!
I need to get the lower trunion off the vertical link so that I can
replace the grease seal.
the manual shows that it it threaded on, but before I put too much force
on it in an attempt to get it off, is there any type of locking nut or
something that is keeping me from getting it off?????
it turns freely about 40 degrees as I believe it should then it seems
like it hits a stop of some type.
<

There have been a lot of good responses on this but let me just add that in
addition to removing the steering stops you will have to remove the brake
rotor which means removing the calipers.  If you have a TR3 you will also
have to remove the brake caliper mounting brackets.

As Randall said the TR2 - 4 trunions are the same side to side.  The TR6
are right/left handed and the threads are reversed from one side to the
other.  I don't know about the TR4A but I suspect they resemble the TR6
parts.  So if you are working on a later car don't be suprised if one side
unscrews in a backwards fashion.

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (currently undergoing a front end rebuild)
71 TR6 (Front end rebuilt in 1996)
80 TR8 (front end rebuilt in 2000)