RE: lower trunion

Subject: RE: lower trunion
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:33:47 -0800
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> There have been a lot of good responses on this but let me just add that in
> addition to removing the steering stops you will have to remove the brake
> rotor which means removing the calipers.  If you have a TR3 you will also
> have to remove the brake caliper mounting brackets.

I believe Dave is mistaken on this point, at least for a TR3/A/B with front disc
brakes.  The caliper & rotor have to come off, but the mounting bracket does
not.  Just about everything else does, though, since one of the A-arms has to
come off, which means removing the rebound stop, shock, spring pan & spring.
And if the trunnion is worn out, chances are good that the brass bushings in the
A-arms are too, so you might as well pull the other one while you're there.

On TR2-3 with front drums, the drum & backing plate probably have to come off,
but I've never done trunnions on a front drum car so I'm not sure about that.

Randall