RE: TR6 Pressure Differential

To: <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Pressure Differential
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:43:44 -0700
> One must wonder why They wired it that way.  Was it cost or did They
> perhaps figure that in the event of a loss of oil pressure a driver
> might notice the big red light faster than the little green one
> hidden by the steering column?

That at least, I think I know the answer to : US regulations at the time
required a "bulb test" function for the brake warning light when the key was
turned on.  Using the oil pressure sender to activate the brake warning
(which was done even on cars with a pressure gauge, like the TR6) provided
the "bulb test" function at minimal expense.

> One must also wonder why They invented such a ponderous abbreviation
> as PDWA, or PWDA, or DPWA, or whatever.

There is only one : Pressure Differential Warning Actuator.  Which frankly
seems to me to capture it's function quite well.  Besides, "brake warning
thingy" is likely to be confused with the handbrake sensor switch found on
some Triumphs.

Randall