Re: wheel bearings

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>,
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 17:28:31 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>
To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 9:50 AM

> The TR2-3 service manual was written when they had front drum brakes and
> the instructions for setting up the front wheel bearings results in the
> bearings being too loose.
>
> You need to follow the instructions in Triumph service bulletin
> SPORTS/10/R dated October 1956.  It basically says tighten the nut to set
> the bearings, loosen the nut, tighten by finger until you reach the point
> where you can not sense any wobble, then stick in the pin.
>
> I've found that new felt washers compress a lot from use so suggest
> setting the play, driving about 100 miles then reseting the bearing play.

Scions-
    If the inner seal of the bearing is felt, soak the feltseal in motor oil
overnight prior to installation. This will give a much more accurate
adjustment and will be less likely to loosen the wheel bearing after the
first drive.
Tim Hutchisen
71 TR 6 (in pieces)
70 GT6+ (soon to be in the stable)