Re: wheel bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:03:18 EDT
Hi Ronnie,

Reading your question, one thing occured to me...

Have you ever replaced the felt grease seals at the back of the hub?

I ask because all of them that I've seen coming from the major TR vendors are
about twice as thick as they should be. Used as is, these replacement seals
make it nearly impossible to properly adjust the wheel bearing by the "tighten
until you feel some drag, then back off one flat" method.

What's happening is the felt is so thick it causes a lot of drag, although
the wheel bearing is far from properly adjustment.

If you install any of these seals, I suggest to trim them in half
(horizontally) with an Xacto before installing. The felt should be just
slightly above
the rim of the metal carrier it sits in.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif

AMfoto1@aol.com
http://hometown.aol.com/amfoto1/amfoto1.htm

I think I may have had the hubs too loose, for I had movement when I placed
my hands at the top and bottom of the wheel and would rock it.

Have any of you had bearing do this? And do you think the bearing is shot
and what might have caused the problem?

Thanks

Ronnie