RE: wheel bearings

To: <AMfoto1@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: wheel bearings
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 21:42:18 -0700
Alan Meyers wrote:

... Have you ever replaced the felt grease seals at the back of the hub?

I ask because all of them that I've seen coming from the major TR vendors
are about twice as thick as they should be. Used as is, these replacement
seals make it nearly impossible to properly adjust the wheel bearing by the
"tighten until you feel some drag, then back off one flat" method.

What's happening is the felt is so thick it causes a lot of drag, although
the wheel bearing is far from properly adjustment.

If you install any of these seals, I suggest to trim them in half
(horizontally) with an Xacto before installing. The felt should be just
slightly above the rim of the metal carrier it sits in.

Alan,

Another solution is to replace the felt seals with modern seals.  CR 13612
is what I used on my TR6.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA