Re: wheel bearings

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 06:50:27 -0700
>I think I may have had the hubs too loose, for I had movement when I placed
>my hands at the top and bottom of the wheel and would rock it.

The TR2-3 service manual was written when they had front drum brakes and
the instructions for setting up the front wheel bearings results in the
bearings being too loose.

You need to follow the instructions in Triumph service bulletin
SPORTS/10/R dated October 1956.  It basically says tighten the nut to
set the bearings, loosen the nut, tighten by finger until you reach the
point where you can not sense any wobble, then stick in the pin.

I've found that new felt washers compress a lot from use so suggest
setting the play, driving about 100 miles then reseting the bearing play.

Dsicoloured bearings mean they got overly hot for some reason.  They may
not be necessarily bad but I tend to replace them because I do not know
how to judge the point where the wear is heavy but they have not quite
gone bad yet. But I also always keep a set of bearings on the shelf
along with their seals.  Very seldom needed if one follows the factory
maintenance schedule, but a comfort factor.

I assume of course everyone follows the factory maintenance schedule.