Re: British or SAE

To: dmericas@limno.com ("Dean Mericas"), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British or SAE
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 09:35:13 -0400
In a message dated 4/15/2005 9:28:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Dean Mericas"
<dmericas@limno.com> writes:

>Speaking of thread issues, I'd like to share a my experience with odd
>threads on a brake cylinder.
>
>I bought a pair of rear brake cylinders off eBay last winter that were
>advertised as being for TR4 - TR6 applications. They look identical to the
>original Girling units on my car, but are not by Girling.
>
>When I attempted to install them last week, they fit perfectly on the
>backing plate and aligned with the brake shoes, but I found that the brake
>pipe fitting would not start in the threaded port.  It turns out that the
>thread is something different from the original. They are now $35 of clean
>junk.

======
Dean, I'd be very curious to know what brand these were (or what brand was on
the box). I understand that most replacement wheel cylinders now have
metric-size heads on the bleed screws (something like 11mm instead of 7/16"),
but the threads are as per original. And that was my recent experience with a
new Girling-style replacement wheel cylinder on my Herald this past year.

--Andy Mace