RE: TR3A radiator R & R

To: "John A. Wise" <JohnWise@alumni.pitt.edu>,
Subject: RE: TR3A radiator R & R
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 17:22:06 -0700
> Well as summer has arrived here Phoenix, I have finally decided it is
> time to R&R the radiator.

> Any words of wisdom on the R&R process??

It's pretty easy, once you've got the front apron off.  I'd suggest some
means of marking the wires as you disconnect them, as the original color
codes aren't always visible.  A 7/16" GearWrench (or equivalent) works well
for all those bolts under the fenders, might be worth picking up a set if
you don't already have them.  If it's been a long time since the apron has
been off, you'll also need Vise Grips (to clamp the nuts in their cages) and
an assortment of swear words.  Couple days before you start, spritz all the
bolt ends with PB Blaster.  They're easier to get to if you remove the
headlight buckets (but it's not otherwise required, so your call).  Pep Boys
sold me some square nylon inserts that work better (IMO) than the factory
ones for holding the buckets to the body and I got some SS screws from Home
Despot.

You might consider having the radiator fill neck replaced with one that will
take a modern cap.  That will make it easier to change cap pressure, if you
want, and to add a coolant recovery system (again if you want).  I didn't do
it when I had my last radiator recored, and now I wish I had.  But don't
forget you've made the modification, and install an original cap !

Make sure the shroud is in good shape.  If you buy a new one, be sure to put
several coats of paint on it to seal against moisture and oxidation.

Good luck
Randall

PS I'm more than ever convinced that 'pusher' fans interfere with airflow at
freeway speeds.  My Stag runs noticeably cooler on the freeway without it.