Re: Cost for modifying 240Z brake drums

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cost for modifying 240Z brake drums
From: AMfoto1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 01:57:55 EDT
Hi Dean,

I got an even higher machining quote, not surprising since it was the same
shop that charged me $80 to press in two trunnion bushings and ream them (too
much, I might add). Figured I'd have to wait a long, long time to get a good
enough deal on a new or decent used set of 240Z drums to make the total cost
worthwhile, so instead ended up ordering a set of brand new TR Alfin drums.
These
are currently $100 apiece from TRF, no machining required. ( By the way,
that's $50 cheaper each than the heavier, original-style TR replacement hubs.)

The finned aluminum portion of TR Alfin hubs are almost undoubtedly cast in
the same mold as the 240Z hubs, just machined differently at the center, lug
bolts and rim, and fitted with a 1mm narrower steel liner for TRs. Brembo seems
to be the sole manufacturer still making both the  Alfins and  240Z drums.

I found the Alfins to be a very tight fit around the shoulders of the lug
studs, but I think that's done deliberately to help insure they align properly.
They don't use the two small retaining screws that are used on stock TR hubs.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L
I've got set of 240Z brake drums to mount on my TR4.  Kastner's book
provides all the details on the necessary mods, which consist of enlarging
the center hole, stud holes, and rim groove.

I took it with the drums to a local machine shop.  They came back with an
estimate of at least $100.  This is a lot higher than what I've read
elsewhere, and makes me think that just buying a new set might be about as
cost effective.

Can anyone comment on the reasonableness of $100+ to modify these drums for
a TR application?

Thanks.

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4