RE: Spitfires

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfires
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:48:43 -0700
> By the way that's where I met
> you so at
> least you did come and in spite of the terrible weather had a good time (I
> think).

I did come, and I did have a good time.  But I didn't drive, and even though
some listers *very* graciously let me drive their Triumphs (which added
greatly to my enjoyment), I would have rather had one of my Triumphs there.

> Do I recall that
> there was a National in Oregon a few years back (2000 maybe)?

Yup, I was there too.

> Before that in
> Ft Worth TX in 1997 and Seattle in 1993.

Ok, I didn't know about those.  Still 1000 miles from here. (Ok, maybe Ft.
Worth is only 950.)

> As for cause and effect, I don't know that is a valid argument either way
> since Triumphest has been for all accounts a success and would continue to
> be if it were a combined VTR event.

I wasn't there, I don't know the details.  But my understanding is that the
west coast clubs offered to host a VTR national, and for whatever reason, it
never happened.  Thus TRfest was founded as the "anti-VTR".

And while I'm not saying I would oppose a combined event, I just can't see
it happening, at least not any time soon.  In addition to all the logistical
problems (like the summer/fall thing, or the "members only" rule), there
seems to still be a good deal of resentment after having been snubbed
before.  A combined event might possibly draw a few more attendees, but then
again, it might not (especially if it becomes "members only").

Ft Worth in July/August ?  I was born in San Antone, and I still wouldn't
want to drive a sidecurtain TR there in August !  Last time I was in Fort
Worth, it was July and the temperature was 104F with 80+ humidity.  People
were dying from it.  Fortunately I was driving a car with A/C and it didn't
break down.

Randall