Re: Fw: rebuild both AC & BCD fuel pumps?

To: fred thomas <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: rebuild both AC & BCD fuel pumps?
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@razzolink.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:08:51 -0700
> This oil seal does 100% "Nothing", it is not even a seal, the arm from
> the fuel pump moves up and down on the cam shaft to push gas through the
> upper half of the pump on top of the diaphram gasket, the so called seal
> has a slit in it, with this arm moving up and down through a
> cut/slit/opening, how can it seal anything out, also what harm can oil
> in the bottom half of the diaphram do to the gas, "NOTHING"

I had a friend loose said seal coming up to my house from Southern
California.  What he discovered is that the engine oil gets splashed
past the dead seal into the lower pump area that is open to ambient air
pressure.  And golly gee it leaks out that breather hole, in copious
quantities.  He first figured out the problem when the oil pressure
light came on whist driving a lonely stretch of road after dark.

So yes you are correct in that a blown oil seal does not harm the fuel
pump.  So if you have lots of oil with you and the EPA is not following
your car, there is no problem.

Think about it.  Why would AC go through the expense of an oil seal if
it were of no use?

TeriAnn,

who provided her friend with a spare pump and a case of oil.