RE: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Now Lucas vs BUSS fuses
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:24:53 -0700
> I used to use that analogy until I realized that the students don't
> understand water flowing through a pipe either!

I'm glad to hear someone else doesn't like that analogy !  It falls apart so
fast ...

"If electricity in a wire is like water in a pipe, then why do pipes get
cold but wires get hot ?"

"Is there hot and cold electricity ?"

"Why can't I pour out the electricity from a wire like I can water from a
pipe ?"

Or my favorite, "How do I hook a bucket to my electrical outlet ?"

In my (very limited) experience, it's better to describe electricity as
"magic" and let the students tell you why it's not magic.

Randall

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. " -
Clarke's third law

===     http://www.vtr.org