RE: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

Subject: RE: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:05:58 -0800
> Also, there is no
> "standard" torque for a given bolt.

While I agree with everything else Michael said, I will say that there IS a
"standard" torque value for a given bolt and one can find tables of such in many
references.  For example
http://www.engineersedge.com/torque_table_sae_ftlbs.htm

But as that page points out, these are only starting values when designing a
bolted joint.  The final design may call for a substantially different value.

>  The torque recommended for a bolt in a
> certain aplication is one that has been calculated, theoretically, to
> produce the clamping force required for that application.

Clamping force is particularly important in joints like the calipers where load
is only applied periodically or cyclically.  If the clamping force does not
EXCEED the load by enough margin, the fastener will loosen or even fail
eventually, even though the joint may not leak at first.  Of course, too much
force is equally bad.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org