Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>,
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: "Michael Marr" <mmarr@notwires.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 10:41:20 -0600
Randall said:

> While I agree with everything else Michael said, I will say that there IS
> "standard" torque value for a given bolt and one can find tables of such
> in many
> references.  For example
> http://www.engineersedge.com/torque_table_sae_ftlbs.htm
>
> But as that page points out, these are only starting values when designing
> bolted joint.  The final design may call for a substantially different
> value.

I guess what I meant was that the "Standard" is simply a recommendation that
will fit the average situation, but that it is not a guarantee of a threaded
fastener's perfromance in every application.  Which is pretty much what
Randall said...

Michael "Clarity is my Middle Name" Marr
1960 TR3A
Naperville, IL

===     http://www.vtr.org