Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List), Windoseat@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:14:51 +0000
I agree completely.

All we need to know is the required clamping force, and what degree of pre-load
on a particular bolt will give us that amount of force.

I think these are the only issues.  I may be wrong. AND, I accept no liability
on this subject.  I have enough liability as it is....

-Tony

From: Windoseat@aol.com

Makes perfect sense. In fact I believe it would benefit all of us on this list
to create a "How To" prodecure to rebuild calipers and any other critical
safety components. In many cases
bolts can be procured from aircraft sources to make the caliper "better than
originally" designed. I have an acquaintence who was an engineer at
Kelsey-Hayes and he has evaluated and developed brake components for Girling
and others. In fact he supplied me with a caliper upgrade containing three
pistons insted of two (one oblong with rounded ends and two round on the
opposite side) for my GT6+. These are Girling calipers. I'm sure we could ply
him for information on the proper assembly and components. This gentleman
manufactures parts that are no longer available for Model A Fords and he builds
them faithfully to Henry's original specs.

As for the experts, I've seen good and bad over the years and I'd just as soon
do my own research and come to my own conclusions. The information is out there
but it takes time and dedication to find it.

Greg Wolf
KC/79747-L
1970 GT6+
Laurel Green