Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: triumphs@autox.team.net (Triumphs List),
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: spamiam@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:52:20 +0000
I agree that this may be a tempest in a teacup.

!5,000 pounds seems like a lot.  But even one of these bolts is more than
capable of holding 15,000 pounds with little elongation.  I do not know the
exact modulus of elasticity, however.  I just remember that one lab in the
engineering department at my college had a machine to measure several MILLION
pounds of tensile properties of metals.  It was originally built during WWII
,as I remember, and literally they never made them like that again.  I saw this
used to pull metal bars to fracture, and it took a major amount of tension to
budge them, well more than 15,000 lbs.

I never took those engineering courses, but I ended up TUTORING the engineering
students!!!!

4 bolts tightened reasonably tight will, in my nitwit opinion, be more than
capable of handling the kinds of loads these hydraulic systems are creating.

I wonder if we can use data published for other applications, apply come
conservative estimates, and get some reasonable specs for the rebuild of these
Girling brakes?

-Tony

From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@ispwest.com>

===     http://www.vtr.org