Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: Acekraut11@aol.com, TR250Driver@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 11:17:07 EST
Listers;

All this talk about calipers has led me to think about a brake failure I had
on my GT6+ back in 1971. The car was three years old and as I approached a
busy intersection the seal in the master cylinder failed and the brakes went
away! All four sides at once. Thanks to the hand brake I didn't sail through
the
intersection. I borrowed my mother's GT6+ (insanity runs in our family) and on
the drive to Allentown, Pa. the clutch master cylinder on her car developed a
leak!

The reason I bring this up is that if an improperly rebuilt caliper failed
you would still have the benefit of some braking and theirs always the hand
brake if everything fails. So the fears of caliper failure are real but the
result
would be a leaking caliper with reduced braking force rather than a
catastrophic caliper failure with spectacular results. Proper torque is
essential but
over torquing would probably strip the caliper threads as opposed to elongating
a high strength bolt.

Greg Wolf
KC/79747-L
1970 GT6+