RE: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:29:57 -0800
> That's not a true statement.  Failure happens when you go into plastic
> deformation.

Nolan, all I can say is STAY AWAY FROM MY CARS !

> That's why your cars springs sit there going "boing boing" without snapping.

Maybe yours do ... the springs on my TR3 were broken when I got it and many
people on this list have experienced plastic deformation of springs (sagging).
As any ME will tell you, most metals still have a fatigue life even with small
amounts of flexing.  It's much longer than the life under plastic deformation,
but it still exists and has a limit.  The alloy can be optimized for long
fatigue life ("spring" steel) but it still fatigues.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fatigue

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org