Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: TR250Driver@aol.com
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:35:10 -0500
Darrell,

I am not sure about others, but I did take mine apart.  I wanted to
replace the rubber gasket between the halves but the main reason was
because my calipers had quite a bit of surface rust and I wanted to be
able to do a thorough job cleaning the parts.  I have some pics of the
parts cleaned and then painted on the triumphowners.com web site link
below that shows what they looked like.  At the risk of being called
irresponsible, I reused my old bolts, retorqued to specifications and
put them on my car.  I havent had a problem so far.  I may be naive,
but it seems to me that if there was likely a problem or weakness with
the components involved or rebuilding process I would have thought it
would have become apparent in the many years that the car has been
amongst all these "non-professional" mechanics.  Every other weakness
of the car has been exposed and various upgrades or fixes have been
exchanged through other venues not the least of which is this list.  It
just seems to reason that if this was a weak point in some way that
someone would have said something by this point.  My experience is with
the TR6 and its many weak points have been discussed quite a bit, with
even the rare major failures that are possible having been discussed by
the list.  I havent heard anything about brake calipers though.  Has
anyone else?

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)