Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Caliper Conspiracy
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:16:31 EST
I've missed some posts on this thread but near as I can tell the subject is
splitting calipers and rebuilding.  For what it's worth, here is what I've done.

For some background I owned/operated a general repair shop from 88 to 97,
raced autox/road race and oval track since 89.  I tend to be the engineering
sort
and will try unconventional projects just to see what will happen.

For the road race car ( A Formula ford Zink Z10C ) the project was to lighten
the calipers.  The Girling 14 LF calipers used on the rear are from some sort
of Brit car, likely a Triumph.  Splitting the calipers wasn't a problem, nor
was reassembly.  I torqued the bolts to what ever the spec was for the same
size grade 8 bolt.  Weight removed was around 1 pound per caliper.

Fronts are ATE from a 70's VW Type 3, same construction but was only able to
remove 1/2 lb.

The next set was to widen front ATE calipers on my Porsche 914.  These
required the bolts to be replaced.  OE bolts were 7MM, not a common size.
Bolts for
replacement were 1/4 grade 8 with double nuts.  Spacers were made from ground
bar stock with a pocket cut for a o ring.  Orings used were Buna N and a thin
coat of anaerobic sealer away from the o ring.

All calipers have been used vigorously with no problems.

===     http://www.vtr.org