[TR] coolant, drive train, gearshift, sequencing ?'s

To: "TriumphList" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] coolant, drive train, gearshift, sequencing ?'s
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:04:47 -0400
Tomorrow I plan on draining the coolant (water) out of the engine or radiator
(as if it should make any difference) and check to see if there's traces of
motor oil in it indicating that the head had run too hot.  Perhaps I ought to
completley drain it and run it again to see if this might be an issue.  If the
water only reflects the colors-of-the-rainbow do I assume too much oil has
gotten in the coolant?

I did run my engine with the car on jack stands today for about 10 minutes.
(All total, I've only run my engine for about an hour since it has been
rebuilt.)  As soon as I check a few more things out, I hope not to have to run
it again until it's road ready.

Today I ran it because the drive train had not been tested.  And while it
turns while up on jack stands is not much of a test, it was rewarding to see
only the right rear wheel turn!  Surely, it's not normal for the left rear
wheel to remain motionless, is it?  I admit that it was kinda tight after
reassembling it month's ago.  I wonder what could be wrong?  Does anybody care
to take a guess?

Also, while sitting in the TR3's with the drive train and new clutch installed
I found it difficult to change gears.  This was because the gear shift
(without the gear shift knob) hit the bottom of the dash.  Is this the way
it's suppose to be?

Some Listee's email regarding the dash installation sequence reminded me that
I've never welded in the new battery box!!!!!!!!!!!!HOLY COW!!  It is 'sitting
properly' where it's suppose to be, but, a hammer could knock it out.  I guess
the sequencing of stuff should always be sought after.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
60 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org