RE: [TR] coolant, drive train, gearshift, sequencing ?'s

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] coolant, drive train, gearshift, sequencing ?'s
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:59:32 -0700
> While I'm at it, I'll comment that I feel that the TR3 non-synchro gearbox
> is much smoother than the synchro one in the 4A, which has a much more
> notchy feel.  Might be just specific to these particular gearbox examples.

I've switched back and forth several times ... there might be some
difference, but I've never noticed it particularly.  But I do notice that
1st gear isn't nearly as far forward on the 4-synchro box as on the
3-synchro.

Taller, too.

Don't have the info handy, but ISTR the factory upped the specification for
force to move the shift rails at some point.  I guess they had trouble with
them jumping out of gear or something.  That might explain the notchiness.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org