RE: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A

Subject: RE: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:47:45 -0700
> What do you recommend as a lubricant for this?
>
> I've read many sources that say only to use motor oil in the liners because
> other lubes may interfere with the rings setting.

Since it's a one-time application, I'm very dubious that any kind of assembly
lube is going to interfere appreciably with ring seating.  At best it will only
last a few seconds once the engine is started.

That said, I just use ordinary motor oil, liberally applied from a pump oil can.

> I even had one fellow at a parts shop recommend tranny fluid of all things.

Would probably work just as well.  The pressures and scuffing are minimal here,
it's not like a cam lobe or something.

> The bottom line is that the engine will sit for over a year after the
> rebuild is completed, so I fully expect to squirt something into the
> cylinders before I attempt to start it.

In that case, you might want to use something with more "body", like 40 or 50
weight motor oil.  Tranny fluid (I think) will be more apt to run out and leave
dry spots.  I once left a motor sit with the pan off for over a year after
running it with Valvoline 40 weigh racing oil ... I was astounded at how much
oil was still in the bearings after all that time.

I would also be careful to smear all the exposed cylinder walls with heavy motor
oil, if you live in a humid climate.  A friend's freshly rebuilt MGA motor froze
up in just a few months of storage in Indiana.

I didn't think of this until just now ... might not be a bad idea to back off
the rocker shaft nuts on a motor to be stored for a long time.  That would both
relieve the pressure on the valve springs (which can sometimes take a set from
being compressed for a long time); and also keep outside air/humidity from being
sucked into the cylinders every night.  Or at least reduce it some, maybe.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org