RE: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A

Subject: RE: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:05:25 -0700
> STP oil additive is the best fluff for a rebuilt engine that will stand
> after rebuild.

I used to like STP, many years ago.  Then I noticed that every time I pulled
the pan off an engine that had been running STP, I found a thick layer of
sludge inside.  No STP = no sludge !

Now some engines, it appears, don't mind some sludge buildup.  I'm told it
can provide extra lubrication when the regular oil supply fails, and dampen
some noises and vibration.  Kind of the same benefits STP is supposed to
provide.

BUT, it seems Triumph engines don't like sludge, particularly in the rocker
shaft area.  It builds up and blocks oil flow to the rockers, which is a Bad
Thing, IMO.

I also have this thing about avoiding products that have lost their "false
advertising" lawsuits ...

All IMHO.  YMMV, of course.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org