Re: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Installing Pistons - TR4A
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:44:34 EDT
I missed the original post could someone repost it?

>From reading Randal's Lucas oil post, I suspect the original poster wants to
lube piston rings.

I've put many engines together both in a shop environment and for my self.  (
just did a head gasket/valve grind and fresh piston / ring refresh on Moms
2.5 Chrysler )

For new rings the piston skirts get a thin wipe of oil and the pistons get
installed in dry bores. For used rings I also use a bit of oil on the bore but
nothing more than a wipe.  Take a look at Total Seal brand piston ring install
sheet, they recommend just a thin wipe of oil on the skirts, this promotes
quick ring seal.

When the engine is running the space between the top and 2nd ring is pretty
much dry so soaking this area with oil does nothing.  How does the motor
survive on such little oil?  The bores retain a thin film of oil and the rings
slide
on that.

Harold

===     http://www.vtr.org